Story of Tuffie: 3rd Chapter

Tuffie had finished the painkillers and continued to get better - regaining mobility, putting on weight and growing fur. It wasn't obvious at that point but now that I can compare the current Tuffie to what she was like before the were marked changes due to her undernourished state. Her colour for instance, was a lot paler then.

Colour or otherwise, it didn't stop her from enjoying plush carpeted surfaces.


Look at her then! Compare her to the chub she is now...what a difference food makes eh?

Side view. In addition to growing meat and fur, she also grew an impressive bristling set of whiskers to go with her new girth :P

She is quite a dainty cat, so much so that I mistook her for a kitten...it was only much later that the prominent nipples and massive paunch showed that she had carried a litter before. Tuffie is roughly 5 years old now.

Gosh, now that is a prosh pose. Noticed the tucked hind leg. She still has a nagging spot on her left back paw, I presume that's where the injury was sited. She would worry and chew that particular patch of fur wet during cleaning.

It was mid July when the maintenance worker came up and informed me that her previous owners have returned and they want her back. It was quite an emotionally shattering experience as I am very attached to this cat, and was also going through some tumultuous personal drama. I insisted that they come up to talk to me as I won't be giving the cat up. So I got to meet Tuffie's ex-owners, and it was from them that I found out her name - they named her Tuffie as in 'tough' for her tenacity. She was a stray kitten in Kuala Lumpur when they adopted her. They also told me her age and that the white cat which was always with her is her son.

They were staying in the apartment block next to mine, but had to move suddenly and left the cats to fend for themselves downstairs. Tuffie would have been fine if she wasn't so fussy with food (she insisted on chicken instead of the fish that is usually fed) and if she wasn't so used to domestic life already. She was very well trained as far as toilet and exhibits good behaviour like not scratching up furniture and the like.

They are a very nice couple. They had a lot of cats before but had re-homed most of them before they'd moved. Unfortunately Tuffie and her son were left behind, and they have now come to bring her to their in-laws place where she would be cared for like a queen. I didn't want to give Tuffie up, especially to people who had abandoned her before. I told them frankly that my whole family has become really attached to the cat. But I asked them if they want to see Tuffie, and a really sweet thing happened - I called for her and Tuffie ran meowing to the couple, head-butted them and proceeded to cuddle at the guy's feet. After some discussion, and as it seems she is in good hands, they consented to me keeping her and said goodbye to her. After they left this loyal thing searched around for them, and after a while she went back to the usual routine of things.

No comments: